If you’re a crafter, you may be looking for a vinyl decal application instructions sheet. Perhaps you have a business and are looking for an instructions pdf to mail out with your vinyl orders. Or maybe you are on the other receiving end, and need to know about applying vinyl decals.
It’s simple to apply decals! Just follow the guide below, and feel free to download a copy (4 to a sheet) of the pdf down below!
If you miss a step, you may become frustrated and could even ruin the vinyl sticker, so be sure to read all the steps first if you are a newby.
These vinyl decal application instructions will walk you through exactly how to transfer a decal onto an object. I use this guide to send out to my customers who purchase Kid’s Contigo Water vinyl name stickers.
What is vinyl and how is it used?
There are three main types of vinyl with regard to decals: removable vinyl, permanent vinyl, and heat transfer vinyl.
Removable vinyl and permanent vinyl are similar, except one is waterproof — the permanent.
If the decals are going to be used outdoors, or in a high traffic area, then permanent (or 651 vinyl) is the way to go.
You will want to use permanent vinyl for things like:
- Wine glasses and insulated cups
- Metal objects like utensils or signs
- Coffee Mugs
- Wooden signs
HERE ARE THE STEPS TO CORRECTLY APPLYING VINYL DECALS:
- CLEAN THE SURFACE
- Clean application surface and allow to fully dry — rubbing alcohol advised
- PEEL BACKING
- Carefully peel away paper backing, ensuring vinyl sticks entirely to tape
- ALIGN & PRESS
- Align the decal and carefully place decal on surface
- Use a credit card to smooth design over surface, top to bottom
- REMOVE TRANSFER TAPE
- Carefully remove transfer tape by peeling back, beginning at the corner. and let cure for 24 hours before washing